1. How do I request a class?
If you're interested in organizing a course in your locale, contact your UniServ director or ISEA's Teaching and Learning Specialist, Cindy Swanson.
2. I lost my certificate, how do I obtain a new one? To obtain a new certificate please send an email to Rhonda Plimmer along with your current address and a new certificate will be mailed to you.
3. Which colleges do you offer graduate credit through?
Graduate credit is offered through Drake University, Viterbo University and Morningside College
4. How many credits are each of your classes?
The courses are for 1 credit (15 hrs).
5. How many hours are your classes?
Classes are 15 hours with 3 hours study time.
6. How do I find out what classes are being offered?
Click here for complete information about the ISEA Academy classes.
7. May I request a list or transcript of all the classes I took through ISEA?
Yes, you may automatically download a transcript of the classes you have taken through ISEA by going to https://www.iseatranscripts.org.
8. May an administrator or support person take a class and get credit?
Yes, an administrator or support person may take a class and get credit.
9. How do you request a new class to be offered?
To request a new class that is not being offered please contact the Teaching and Learning Specialist, Cindy Swanson.
10. Will there be any more National Board financing or classes?
To find out more information regarding National Board Certification, click here.
11. How do I request an A Framework for Understanding the Iowa Teaching Standards and Criteria book?
Danielson's Framework, based on a thorough analysis of the research on effective teaching, brings meaning to the Iowa standards. The cost of the book is $25, but ISEA members receive a $17.50 discount, reducing their cost to just $7.50. Download an order form (pdf) or send an email request to Rhonda Plimmer.
12. Do you have a brochure about your classes?
No, we do not have a brochure, but if you click here, you will find information about the ISEA Academy classes, when they are offered and the cost for registration.
13. Who should attend Journey to Excellence?
This training is designed for trainers of mentors who are using Journey to Excellence learning projects and Mentoring Matters mentor skills.
14. How can I find out more information about the Teacher Quality?
In 2007, legislation established Teacher Quality Committees (TQC) in each school district and AEA. TQCs consist of equal numbers of teachers and administrators and are charged with allocating any Teacher Quality Professional Development funds, monitoring the various aspects of the Teacher Quality program such as evaluation, professional development, and mentoring and induction. ISEA has a variety of supportive materials and tools available. Recently a Teacher Quality Notebook was created by ISEA staff working with the Iowa Department of Education, School Administrators of Iowa and the Iowa Association of School Boards that contains copies of almost all, if not all guidance from the Department, along with training materials provided by the Department and ISEA, and copies of suggested agendas for use by TQCs and tools for monitoring evaluation, professional development, the use of professional development funds, and mentoring and induction. Teacher Quality Notebook
15. How can I find my folder number or what kind of license that I am renewing?
Just go to this web page (http://www.iowa.gov/boee/search_warn.html) and type in your name.
16. May I substitute on my regular teaching license until my regular license expires?
Yes, you may substitute on your regular license in all subjects and at all grade levels
17. If I go to a Substitute License from a Standard License and then later back to a Standard License, will I have to go through mentoring?
No, you will merely have to renew your Standard License. But note that if you accept a regular teaching job, you will have to renew your Standard License BEFORE you begin your duties as a full time or regular part time teacher; you cannot serve as a full time or regular part time teacher on a Substitute License
18. My Iowa teaching license expired several years ago, but I have not been teaching in Iowa or anywhere else; will I now need more credits (e.g. more than the six I needed before to renew a Standard License) or have to do anything else extra in order to renew my license?
No, you will merely have to renew your license by meeting the renewal requirements for that license
19. I had more credits than I needed when I renewed my license five years ago; may I use those credits to renew my license now?
No. Credit used for renewal of a license must be earned within the term of that license. The credits that you could have used at your last renewal would be too old to be used for this renewal
20. My license expires in six weeks, and I still need one more credit; what can I do if my class won’t end by that time (or if there is no class that I can take)?
You could apply for a one year extension of the license. The fee is the only requirement for this license, but if one or more of your credits will turn five years old by the expiration date of the extension, you should send those transcripts with your application. We also have some online courses that you may be able to get taken before it expires. Please check our ISEA Academy classes.