National Board Certification
Good news! Iowa's National Board Certified Teachers receive $2,500 a year for 10 years.
National Board Certification allows teachers to be recognized for their highly accomplished teaching practices. In addition, Iowa Administrative Code provides an annual award of $2,500 to National Board Certified Teachers (NBCTs) for the ten-year-life of their certificate.
National Board Certification has changed from previous years.
Click here to find instructional videos, handouts and information about the current process.
Who is eligible for National Board Certification?
Any individual who:
- Holds a baccalaureate degree;
- Has taught for at least three years; and
- Holds a valid state teaching license for the area in which he/she is teaching.
What is the National Board for Professional Teaching Standards?
The NBPTS board of directors, composed primarily of educators, has developed a system of advanced standards and assessments organized around five core propositions:
- Teachers are committed to students and their learning.
- Teachers know the subjects they teach and how to teach those subjects to students.
- Teachers are responsible for managing and monitoring student learning.
- Teachers think systematically about their practice and learn from experience.
- Teachers are members of learning communities.
NBPTS has developed advanced standards based on these propositions in 25 certification fields. Each set of standards represents consensus in the certification field for what makes an accomplished teacher.
The ISEA will continue to offer courses to support NBCT candidates. Classes can be taken for one hour of graduate credit, license renewal credit, or can be audited. For more information about this year's locations for classes, visit the ISEA website at http://www.isea.org/home/1294.htm or contact Rhonda Plimmer (email@example.com).
For the latest list of scholarships offered by corporations and foundations, special loans for members of National Education Association (NEA), and Financial Assistance for Veterans, access http://www.nbpts.org/fees-financial-support.
For more information:
- ISEA Support Courses: Rhonda Plimmer (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- State of Iowa Financial Incentives: Tana Mullen (email@example.com)
- National Board for Professional Teaching Standards: http://www.nbpts.org/